Friday 8 May 2009

Film trailers

To start my research for this coursework task I have looked at various different film trailers, from recent films that are out in the cinemas at the moment, such as 'Get Him To Greek' and also older films, such as 'Heat'. I looked at new and old trailers because I wanted to look at the difference in style in the ages of the film trailers. What i have learned from looking at the differnet ages of film trailers is that more recent film trailers include more action from the films and they dont give away much of the story line. Whereas older film trailers do include more of the story line and show alot more of the actual acting in the film, rather than just different shots of action sequences.

Batman trailer (more recent) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KGFG-PhPxs&feature=related


Heat trailer (older) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbBLJ1WGwQ

Another thing that i have noticed when watching different trailers is the use of the film production companies logos. These logos are usually included at the beginning of the trailer. This is helpful to me for making my trailer because it gives me ideas of the sort of things to include in my logo.

FILM GENRES

I have not fully decided what film genre i would like to do for my trailer yet because i am still researching different trailers and i am still thinking as to what would be the most effective and the most effiicient genre to use.

From my research and thinking i believe that an action film would not be the best genre to use because it would be very difficult and almost impossible to create the explosions and other special effects that are key elements of an action film.

Another genre that would be very difficult to use for my film trailer is the comedy genre. The comdey genre wouldn't be the best genre for my trailer because the jokes the sense of humour that would be included would be my sense of humour, so others might not find the trailer funny at all.

One genre that would be fairly easy to do for my trailer would be the thriller genre. This genre would be easy to use because the thriller genre elements such as suspense and mystery would be easy to create in a teaser trailer. Below is a thriller trailer for the film '28 Days Later'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmfbKnwe1Gw
What i like about this trailer is that it has small clips of the beginning of the trailer which lets the audience know the main plot of the film, so informs them on what the film is about. There is also tense music used in the trailer which also makes the audience want to watch the film and the tense music also links with the thriller genre.

Another genre i am interested in using is film noir. I am interested in using film noir as the genre for my film trailer because the aspects of film noir would be easy to create, such as pathetic fallacy, femme fatale and the dark and mysterious settings. I am also interested in using film noir because i think that the darkness and the mystery has a good effect. The two minute opening of my AS media project was also film noir, so it would be a logical choice to use the genre again. Below is an example of a film noir trailer for the film 'Sin City'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0M8qjlAT8s
I have specifically chosen this trailer as an example because i think it is typical of the film noir genre. I like the way it is edited to show all of the main characters in the film. The short cuts that are edited in the film trailer add to its intensity. There is also contrasts in dark and light in the trailer which has a good effect. I would like to include dark and light contrasts in my film trailer.


The genre that i am most likely to use for my film trailer is Film Noir. I think that this will be my most likely choice because for my AS media project, my groups film was a Film Noir thriller film. personally i like the genre because the mystery and the darkness of the fiklm is very effective on the audience. The aspects of Film Noir are also easy to re-create.

This is a list of links for film noir trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_D09mk1zyg Sunset Boulevard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3wjJcuGsVE Double Indemnity

Both of these trailer are tarilers for older films, so the style that these trailers are will be different to the style of more recent trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwIlEu7o9ZM&feature=related Sin City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDeOkaCUUI8 The Spirit

Both of the above trailers are more recent Film Noir films. Both of these films are made by the same director (Frank Miller).
Through my reasearch i have discovered that Film Noir was a very popular genre in the 1940s and the 1950s. This has made it more difficult to find trailers that are more recent because i like the Sin City trailer and would like to mimic the style of that trailer for my own Film Noir trailer. The aspects that i would expect from a Film Noir trailer include, dark settings, rainy or cloudy weather, a femme fetale character and maybe a mysterious detective.

If i decide to not do a Film Noir trailer, then i am considering just doing the thriller genre. I like the idea of doing a thriller trailer because it is flexible. What i mean by flexible is that you can include other genres, for example, an action thriller, a comedy thriller, a film noir thriller, a comedy thriller and also crime thriller. Also for my AS media project we had to do the opening for a new thriller movie. I enjoyed using the thriller genre because og the fact that you can include other genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment